- Using technology or gaming to escape or cope
- Unable to stay focused, easily distracted, irritable, bored
- No longer enjoying activities that used to be fun
- Struggling to set limits on screen time
- Using technology or gaming to replace live communication
- Disconnected or empty relationships
- Feeling lack of meaning
- Dealing with online harassment or bullying
- Unable to cut back or quit technology or gaming
- Conflicts with others related to technology or gaming behaviors
Internet and Gaming
Some of us use technology to relieve stress or engage in games for things we cannot do in real life. It can feel very accomplishing to quickly respond to a text or to finish a level, puzzle, or quest in games. When the outside world is difficult, Internet and games can help boost confidence and provide a missing connection to others, bringing people together to create community, common goals, and support. The downside of technology addiction can result in struggles with grief, depression, anxiety, and stress, impacting how we spend our time and how we interact with others.
Is Your Internet Use Negatively Impacting Your Life?
- Do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
- Do you prefer the excitement of the internet to intimacy with your partner?
- Do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend online?
- Does your work suffer because of the amount of time you spend online? (E.g., postponing things, not meeting deadlines, etc.)
- Do you become defensive or secretive when anyone asks you what you do online?
- Do you block disturbing thoughts about your life with soothing thoughts of the internet?
- Do you snap, yell, or act annoyed if someone bothers you while you are online?
- Do you lose sleep due to late night internet use?
- Do you try to cut down on the amount of time you spend online and fail?
- Do you feel depressed, moody, or nervous when you are not online, and do these feelings go away when you go back online?
How Elaine Can Help
In counseling we can work together on putting your Internet and technology use in perspective and rebuilding your sense of self. You can learn to rewire your brain and begin managing your emotions in healthy ways to regain control over your time. Counseling can improve your life by reducing your dependence on technology and building the skills that you need to enhance your relationships.
Elaine's Blog Posts on Internet Addiction
Here is the link to interesting articles for my Internet Addiction clients - https://askcounseling.com/category/internet-addiction/