Here are some resources that I mention in sessions with my Career Counseling clients:
Books Recommended in Career Counseling
- What Should I Do with My Life? – by P. Bronson
- Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life – by B. Burnett and D. Evans
- The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter and How to Make the Most of Them Now – by M. Jay
- The New Geography of Jobs – by E. Moretti
- What Color Is Your Parachute?: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers – by R. N. Bolles
Assessments Discussed in Career Counseling
- https://assessment.com – a free 71-questions career interest test (MAPP) focuses on your ‘likes’ and ‘dislikes’ and should be taken rather quickly, since the ‘reflexive’ answer is preferable to the ‘intellectual’ answer.
- https://www.myplan.com/assess/values.php – a free 20-questions career values test
- https://www.16personalities.com – a free personality description test
- https://www.onetcenter.org/IP.html#web-based – a free 60-questions interest inventory
- https://www.viacharacter.org/www/ – a free 120-questions character survey
- Campbell Interest and Skills Survey – about $20; focuses on careers that require post-secondary education and identifies occupations or vocations that help meet the individual’s needs.
- eParachute – inspired by the book “What Color is Your Parachute?”, this tool helps you discover your most loved strengths, explore potential career paths, and see how well they match what you love to do most.
Resume, Cover Letter, Interview Help
- Ask A Manager – a website that answers many questions related to career and job search