My name is Elaine Korngold and I am a psychotherapist with strong intuition and diverse experiences. I work with individual adults and couples in supportive and creative ways. Together, we develop practical and immediate solutions that build on your unique strengths and move you closer towards your goals. The issues we can address include dealing with generational, developmental, or existential trauma, money issues, career and work challenges, ADHD struggles, difficulties with life transitions, parenting, or relationships, addictions, immigration-related adjustments, or sports performance issues.
I am a National Certified Counselor (NCC), a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the State of Oregon, a Certified Brainspotting Therapist and Consultant, a Certified IFS Therapist, and Certified in Trauma, ADHD, and Autism Counseling. In my private practice, I integrate Brainspotting therapy with Internal Family Systems (IFS) Therapy, adding elements of Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Attachment Theory, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and principles from Neuroscience. In my work with couples I integrated Gottman Method Couples Therapy with Intimacy From the Inside Out (IFIO) therapy.
I hold a Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. My post-graduate training includes:
- Certified Brainspotting Therapist and Approved Consultant
- Brainspotting Consultant Training – with Dr. Martha Jacobi
- Brainspotting Therapy – Phases 1, 2; and Phases 3, 4 – with Dr. David Grand
- Brainspotting Therapy for Addiction – with Dr. Roby Abeles
- Brainspotting and Substance Abuse – with Jeff Ryan
- Brainspotting for Sports Performance, Injury Resolution, and Brain Health Optimization – with Paige Roberts
- Brainspotting and OCD – with Dr. Pie Frey
- Presenter at the 2021 International Brainspotting Conference
- Brainspotting & Parts Work – assist with specialty training
Internal Family Systems (IFS) Therapy
- Certified IFS Therapist
- Internal Family Systems Level 1 – with Chris Burris. A comprehensive 7 months long training with practicums.
- Internal Family Systems Level 2 (Deepening and Expanding) – with Pam Krause.
- Internal Family Systems Level 2 (Intimacy From the Inside Out – IFIO) – with Ann Drouilhet and Larry Rosenberg; IFS-based experiential model of couples therapy.
- IFS Trauma: Releasing Personal and Legacy Burdens – with Dr. Richard Schwartz
- The Art of Negotiation in IFS Sessions: Challenging Protectors and Workable Agreements – with Chris Burris
- Somatic IFS – with Susan McConnell
- Internal Family Systems: Stepping Stones – with Derek Scott
- Internal Family Systems Step by Step – with Dr. Richard Schwartz
- Treating Complex Trauma with Internal Family Systems – with Dr. Frank Anderson
- Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Self-Alienation – with Dr. Janina Fisher
- What IFS Therapists Should Know About Trauma – with Dr. Janina Fisher
- IFS and Chronic Pain – with Dr. Richard Schwartz and Derek Scott
- IFS: Releasing the Legacy of Shame – with Kay Gardner and Derek Scott
- The Farther Reaches of IFS: Unattached Burdens & Guides – with Robert Falconer
- IFS and Addiction: Working with Chronic Firefighters – with Robert Falconer
- Befriending Difficult Protectors in IFS Therapy – with Mike Elkin
Certified Clinical Trauma Professional – Level 1 (CCTP)
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), an evidence-based treatment approach
- Dissociation 101; Dissociative Disorder and the Normalcy of Fragmentation
- How to Work With Clients in Dorsal Vagal Collapse and Freeze States – with Dr. Roby Abeles
- Complex Trauma Certification – Level 2 (CCTP-II) – with Dr. Janina Fisher – in progress
- Treating complex trauma and dissociative disorders using Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
Neurodiversity Affirmative Therapy
- Certified ADHD Clinical Services Provider (ADHD-CCPS): Evidence-Based Strategies for Managing ADHD Across the Lifespan
- Certificate Program in Autism Across the Lifespan: Adult Emphasis – with Dr. Theresa Regan
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for Adult ADHD – with Dr. Jill Corvelli
- Challenging Myths about Autism: What Assessors and Therapists Need to Know – with Dr. Joel Schwartz
- Demystifying Autism Spectrum Disorder Screening – with Dr. Leslie Carter
- IFS Perspectives on Families Affected By Autism – with Dr. Helena Huckabee
- Working with Neurodiverse Couples (using Gottman Method) – with Dr. Mike McNulty
Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Gottman Method – Levels 1, 2, and 3 – with Dr. Jack Crossen
- Gottman Method – Treating Trauma and Affairs – with Drs. John and Julie Gottman
- Gottman Method – Treating Couples in Addiction Recovery – with Dr. Robert Navarra
- I co-taught a workshop “Adult Autism & ADHD Screening for Master’s and Doctoral Level Clinicians” with Dr. Leslie Carter in October 2022 to hundreds of clinicians worldwide. Dr. Carter and I run a free monthly ADHD and Autism consultation group supporting clinicians who took our training and have questions about their specific cases or assessments.
- I teach workshops “Therapy Approaches for Autistics and ADHDers” to groups of counselors.
- I presented “The Uses of Brainspotting in Financial Therapy and Career Counseling” at the 2021 International Brainspotting Conference.
- I was interviewed and featured in an article about Financial Therapy in a national magazine “Counseling Today” in April 2021
Who Am I Really
I enjoy getting to know people and building deep and meaningful relationships. My clinical experiences with individual adults and couples include treating trauma, PTSD, anxiety, depression, ADHD and Autism-related issues, grief, immigration and acculturation challenges, financial struggles, career exploration, and relationship issues.
Prior to becoming a psychotherapist, I had a successful management and technology career in the financial, IT, healthcare, academic, and automotive sectors. My previous job titles included: programmer-analyst, software developer, systems engineer, research scientist, business analyst, product manager, project manager, and a certified scrum master. My Bachelor’s degree was in Computer Science and my previous Master’s degrees were in Computer Engineering and in Business Administration. I have lived in Europe, on the East Coast of the US, and in the Midwest, but I consider myself an Oregonian because I have lived in Oregon the longest. Outside of practicing counseling and doing psychotherapy research for fun, you will find me reading voraciously, playing outdoors, dancing, swimming laps, or spending time with my amazing family and friends.